Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Balance Bikes

I was searching online this morning for a tricycle for Jack for his second birthday. I didn’t get very far into my search when I came across balance bikes. I have never even heard of these, but after watching several videos on YouTube, it seems like it might be the way to go. They are actually touted as pre-bikes and do not have pedals. The thought is that traditional bicycles place too much of the focus on learning to pedal--skimping on developing your child's motor skills. According to the Strider website, there are no "tricycle tip-overs" or "training-wheel wobbles" to create a fear, hesitancy, or dislike of bike riding.

Pictured below are the top three balance bikes on Amazon.

image

Strider, $99.00

image

Smart Gear, $71.00

image

Skuut, $68.56

Does anyone have one of these? Which one do you recommend?

6 comments:

  1. I have done some research on these too. I think they are the best way to go. You just need to get the right size. We saw one at a houston bike shop, I can't recall which one maybe sugar cycles. Good luck with the baby! So excited for you. --Abby G. (blogger won't let me sign into my account!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend just took the pedals off the bike to make her own balance bike for her little boy. And it worked! After a couple months on his "balance bike" they put the pedals back on and off he went! He was riding a bike by himself at 3 1/2. She just told me this on the 4th bc I brought up the balance bikes.
    Now....go have your baby already! I can't wait any longer! :0 - Haley

    ReplyDelete
  3. My cousin has the scuut bike for her children, and cannot say enough good things about it! - Jessica F.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My neighbor's 4-year-old son has had the Strider since he was 2 and still loves it though he has really outgrown it. I think he even prefers the Strider to the motorized vehicle he got last Christmas. Bets

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have a Strider. Clayton used it until he outgrew it, now Sam will hopefully start using it! I have a friend (bike enthusiast) who recommended it. His kid was off of it and onto a real bike w/no training wheels in 6 weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't have a single doubt about the fact that balance bikes will help your child move to riding proper bikes.

    ReplyDelete